Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Little Things

It's the last day of November.  I have been at Red Bridge for barely over a week.  Even though my time has been short, I have found new things to experiment with at the branch.  They tend to be common sense things, but often times we are blinded by familiarity.  Admittedly, I have had the same thing happen to me.  It's not a bad thing; a new set of eyes may help discover things that have since faded into the fog.

I don't like doing unnecessary work in order to get the job done.  I want the job done efficiently and with little chance of getting injured.  It's not even the paperwork aspect of it; it just sucks getting hurt.  So, if given the choice between (a) filling a box on the ground just to pick it up and unload it onto a cart and (b) placing items on a cart so that it can be rolled out and transferred to another cart, I will always choose (b).  Not only is it easier, it's less hazardous to someone's health and well-being.

I decided that, instead of keeping 3 sheets of paper for branch programming, the branch should consolidate all programming onto one legal-sized sheet.  I love legal-size paper.  I can't explain it; it just happened.  However, I cannot take the credit for coming up with the idea because another co-worker had the idea some time ago.  I just executed it.  I guess we'll see how it goes in December.

Maybe I'll try to work in an ask-off calendar next month too.  Small but vital, an ask-off calendar can make it easier for people to take time off and make it easier for the scheduler to see how thin the crew will be throughout the month.  I can thank my former manager for that idea.

Anyway, I guess I'll wait to see how many ripples my little splashes will make.

No comments:

Post a Comment