Saturday, December 10, 2011

Theatre 2011

What a long day.  After being at work since 8, I drove straight to the theatre for the 6th performance of Scrooge! The Musical at Blue Springs City Theatre.
image courtesy Blue Springs City Theatre
Even though I have somehow ended up in a Christmas show niche, this year's weight load was lessened by the fact that I am only a small part in the show.  I say small with reservations because one of my fellow actors told me that a part is as big as you make it.  Playing Topper, I feel like I've had a lot of room to enlarge my part.  I am biased, but I think that the scene that I am in is the most natural.  It's a party, so how can it not be?

Whilst sitting at a table in 54th Street last week, I had the pleasure of entering into a conversation about theatre, and most importantly, community theatre.  Many community theatres cast whole families in shows, and often they return for multiple shows.  For Scrooge, I got to meet some new theatre families and reacquaint myself with ones of my past.  Everyone has a different story about the theatre, just as everyone has their own reasons for doing theatre.  It is community theatre, yes, but through community theatre, I have seen friendships born, lovers meet, shy children become more outgoing, and introverts have fun by expressing themselves in their own ways.  Everyone has their reasons, and I think mine is the family that I have found in theatre.  I always seem to meet some great people, and I'm always sad when a show is over.

However, it will be nice to have a break, and maybe even a social life again for a little while.  So, until Willy Wonka, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment