Saturday, December 10, 2011

Rooms & Pods

Even though today was a very long day, it was a good day.  Besides the theatre, I was able to actually voice my opinion about branch issues.  That wasn't all; I felt like someone listened to me.  Red Bridge is getting new computer tables.  Instead of rectangular tables for 12 computers, we will have two pods that are hexagonal.  They are apparently modern and cool, but I guess I'll find out on Monday when they are dropped off.  These pods will be great for patrons because the computers will be positioned in such a way that they will have more room and more privacy.  I think it's a good thing; it'll just take people a minute to adjust.  The regional manager came out to talk to us about the computer pods and the future page room.

When I set out on my adventure to Red Bridge, I wanted two things:  a sorting room for the pages, and some kind of video game system for the library.  Because of the small teen population for Red Bridge library, the latter probably won't happen.  However, the first will definitely happen because it is penciled into the budget.  I am so excited; I wish that the pages were too.  The pages are afraid that a page room in the current location would be too small to sort things.  Well, they're right.  So, I talked about measurements and fire code, but the hardest part was convincing the regional manager that the page room needed to be bigger in order to accommodate all of the items that need sorting.  I brought forth my case, laid down the evidence, and in the end, I think I may have made some headway.  Work areas should be separate from browsing areas.  Though it may be nice for patrons to pick through recently returned items, there needs to be a separation so that sorting can be done efficiently in order to return items to the shelves.  Also, have a page area out in the open doesn't really look that great.  I'm big on functionality, but I think I'm bigger on aesthetics.  An enclosed work space would solve these issues.  To that end, he said, "I'm usually not this agreeable but..."  Then he trailed off.  Fingers crossed for a new page room?

No comments:

Post a Comment