Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Moment

Friday was my last day at the library.  I was there for 3 years and 3 months.  It's amazing to see all of the changes that happened within that time period.  What's more amazing is the amount of things that I never saw, or noticed.  It's weird that it took me my entire tenure at the branch to notice something differently, but I guess that's how life works sometimes.

As I was wandering around the library with iPad in hand, I noticed our green chairs that have been scattered across the library since I started.  They never have been anything special, but those are the chairs that we supply for patrons to sit in when they read books and magazines, or play games on their PSPs.  They've always been there, and I have always seen them, but for some reason, I actually took note of them this time.  Maybe it was because I was leaving that made me pause.  I looked around; the library was pretty empty, as it is in the early afternoon.  I took a seat.

In three years, I had never sat in these chairs.  I had never sat on a couch.  I had restricted myself to staff sittings, is that's even a proper term.  After I sat down, the library had that new feeling again.  It's like when you walk into your new house, or visit some place for the first time.  I came into the library everyday, but it had a familiar look.  After viewing it in a different place, I saw it with new eyes again.

I had that Dead Poet's Society moment, minus school desks.  It puts things into perspective again.  I turned out the lights Friday night, and I stood in the doorway to take in the novelty of the old library.  In a way, it was an incredible way to transition.  I looked upon my old library with a new perspective, and will now be going to a new library altogether.

I feel like watching Dead Poet's Society now.

No comments:

Post a Comment