Monday, July 30, 2012

*NOT* a Crooner

Friday was the last day at the branch for one of Red Bridge's longest employees.  She was definitely a staple at Red Bridge, and I know that she touched a lot of lives.  She wanted me to sing a song for her at her party, since she hadn't seen me perform or sing.  I said I would, but honestly had no idea what to sing.

I first thought that I could try a classic crooner song by Frank, Bing, or someone else fancy.  Then I realized that I couldn't pull that off.  So then I started thinking about newer songs about goodbye and stuff, but most of those songs seemed really sad.  Then, I thought about Charlie Brown, like I do a lot.  I decided to sing "Happiness Is..." from the musical.  As it turned out, it was a very appropriate choice.  A song about the little things in life meaning big things was just what she wanted, and what she believed.  There's a video somewhere of it too.

The party was great though.  A lot of people showed up, and we gave her a personalized scrapbook with blank pages filled with guests' names.  Tomorrow is her last day, but I'm sure she will be back.
Tomorrow is also the last day for Diana at the old branch.  I went to her party on Friday, too!  I guess I was a busy guy.  Between the food, gifts, and huggy goodbyes, it was a full day.  I don't know when she'll pop in at the branch, though.  She's always doing something, so she may not for a while.  :-)

Two great children's librarians are retired now... wonder what the future holds?

No comments:

Post a Comment