Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Taps

TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP

That's the sound I heard when my dad was impatiently waiting for something.  Usually, it happened during a phone call or the off-chance that we went out to eat at Burger King.  I know Burger King isn't eating out, but that's the place we would go.  I remember when I was big enough to eat a Whopper all by myself; it was still 99¢, too.

My dad grew up on a farm and there were different types of equipment there.  There were always kids running around and playing with the toys.  Well, apparently, my dad liked to play with said toys whether they were on or off.  I remember him yelling at me when I tried to lift the grass guard on the riding lawnmower while it was running.



He said that I should pay attention to the warning:










Why would I do that?  Nothing's going to happen to me!  Of course, I tested his theory and lifted the guard.  SNIP!  There went the tip of my finger.  I still miss it to this day.  That's why my left pointer finger is just a little bit shorter than the right.

Don't worry.  That didn't happen.

My dad is probably part of the reason for that warning label.  He did just that, only it was with much larger machinery.  He really did lose the tip of his pointer finger.  The blade cut off the tip almost down to the knuckle.  However, it did not cut out the entire nail bed, so his nail was still able to grow.  Instead of having a full nail though, it was sort of a rounded nail tip right in the middle of his finger.  So, while most people roll their fingers to convey a sense of urgency, my dad would just curve his finger and

TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP

No comments:

Post a Comment