Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Story

Today at the library, a patron came in and looked like she was feeling down. A co-worker asked if she was OK as she approached the desk. With a heavy sigh, the patron said that she had been better as she laid her library books, potentially her last, on the counter. Concerned, my co-worker asked why she was down…

“I’ve lost a book, and I can’t find it anywhere. I can’t afford to pay for it, so I’m here to turn in my library card.”

Fighting back tears, she retrieved her card from her purse and placed it on the counter. Before we could investigate further, she broke down and was in tears as she moved through the doors.

A devoted patron, she visits the library at least weekly, sometimes twice a week. She was gone before I, or anyone else, could stop her. Reserved to the fact that we wouldn’t catch her, we then discovered that the fine for her book was not nearly enough to block her account. My co-worker even offered to pay it since, obviously, the library means so much to this person.

With card in hand, something needed to be done. After thorough investigation, it was decided that the patron needed to be called. I was not there for the conversation, but apparently she thought that if she had any outstanding book and couldn’t find it, that she would be unable to use the library’s services. She was told that we would like her to pick up her card, and the borrowing details were further explained to her.

As I made my way through the stacks, she came and picked up her card. Oddly enough, as she was frantically searching her house for the missing book, she found it and brought it with her. She turned it in and carried on, looking for some new books to enjoy once again.



This is the first time that I have ever had an experience like this. I have never witnessed a grown person cry over the fact that they would miss out on what a library offers. I have come to realize that libraries are incredibly needed in society, and that there are a lot of people that rely on libraries for a plethora of reasons. However, I never knew how much the library could mean to one person. Libraries truly are wonderful, and even though I am not as avid of a reader as I wish I was, I can appreciate the many services that libraries provide, and for free! I also wish that more people could hear these stories about just how wonderful libraries are.

Libraries are *NOT* just a place to read or use the computer. They have become so much more, and I want people to realize that the possibilities are endless in the library world. Whether you are in the branch or online, libraries strive to provide you with the best services around, and the only thing that they ask is a few tax dollars. If someone reads this, please pass it on. If not, at least I have put the story out here for consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment