Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Conference Season, Part 2 or “Why Do Roads Going North Take You South???”

After a brief rest in St. Louis, I began my journey to Hot Springs, Arkansas by way of Memphis.  Yes, by way of Memphis.  I wasn’t going to try to take a two-lane highway down through the Ozarks; I’m not THAT crazy.  Since I was going near Memphis, I thought that I would grab some BBQ.  Well, that didn’t work out so well.  I was probably a bit out of it because I couldn’t find a BBQ place that was open on a Sunday.  So, I ended up eating in… a very small town in Arkansas.  The names have been removed to protect the innocent.  This town… This town looked liked a methocracy used for shuttling migrant workers through the flyover states.  Wow, I’m going to hell for that.  There were very few teeth there, and a lot of people (NOT NECESSARILY MEXICANS) who piled into trucks dressed as farmers/laborers.  Anyway… enough justification.  I got back on the highway only to find roadwork.  I had to take a long detour through the country which was pretty nice.  It set me back about an hour and a half, but it was nice.

I arrived at the hotel in Hot Springs after driving through some truly beautiful landscapes, and headed over to scope out the convention center.  Good grief; it was at least a half-mile walk to the rooms.  After burning about 20,000 calories, I headed out to meet some conference goers at a bath house turned brewery.  While there, I met Lowell, who might just know more about history than I do.  Trivia: did you know that Hot Springs was the first location of baseball’s Spring Training?  Also, Hot Springs was where all the gangsters hung out.  Al Capone and all of those guys came down to Hot Springs and relaxed.  It was neutral ground because, well, THEY’RE HOT SPRINGS.

Back to the conference.  We presented at 11am and had about 40 attendees!  A couple of ladies were far too nice and said that it was the best training session they had been to.  I doubt that, but thank you kindly.  Jennifer and I ended up sitting with them over lunch and the gentle sounds of Ozark music.  After lunch, I went to a couple of sessions, and I made it a point to sit in on Pam Sandlian-Smith’s keynote.  She is the director of Anythink Libraries (Adams County, Colorado).  During her time there, they have completely rebranded and become a vastly different system.  They strive on infusing creativity in everything.  90% of kindergartners self-identify as being creative, but only 2% of high-schoolers do.  Anythink embraces and encourages creativity.



I could go on and on about her, but I think that those words can convey a brilliant message to the masses.  These are the kinds of things that keep me passionate about libraries.  Oh, and if you’re keeping score, that’s 2 keynotes after not having gone to one previously.


Farewell, ArLA.
I slipped out of ArLA shortly thereafter and headed up to Topeka, by way of Springfield.  You know how odd-numbered highways go north and south?  Well, US Highway 65 definitely goes north AND south.  I was trying to get to Springfield, and the road kept leading me south… stupid Ozark mountains.  To end on a brighter note, I followed a log truck most of the way, and I kept imagining the Final Destination scenario where the log dislodges and flies through the windshield.  Happy thoughts!

On to Topeka for another great adventure in libraryland, the Kansas Library Conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment